ACT-IAC released the list of the 2008 Excellence.Gov Awards Top 20 winners last night. I’m the co-chair of the awards this year and, as is true every year, competition was very difficult. The theme this year is “Improving Organizational Performance Using Information Technology” and the top 20 features really outstanding achievements in this area.
I’m always delighted to see the list of the winners because, every year, it illustrates the fact that great IT work is being done throughout government. Almost every aspect of government is represented here, from Defense to the SBA to HUD to Agriculture and many more besides. With so many stories written about the failures of government technology, the awards make me proud to be a government contractor. Unlike other awards, Excellence.Gov recognizes government programs, not individuals or agencies, and therefore represents the people doing on-the-ground work that makes stuff happen for the nation.
The top 5 winners will be announced at the awards lunch on March 31st at the Mandarin Oriental Hotel in downtown Washington, DC. This event is free for government employees, $85 for non-government peons like me. Guvvies register here, non-guvvie IAC members click here (and, yes, we check to ensure you’re who you say you are!). If you’re not yet a member of IAC, call 703–208-4800 to register.
And here’s the top 20 in alphabetical order. Well done to you all!
- Business Gateway Initiative, U.S. Small Business Administration
- Business Services Online, Social Security Administration
- Business Systems Modernization, Defense Logistics Agency
- Compliance Data Warehouse, Internal Revenue Service
- Computer Telephony Integration and Interactive Voice Response System Enhancements at 1–800 MEDICARE, Department of Health and Human Services
- Cyber Defense Technology Experimental Research Project, Department of Homeland Security
- Disaster Credit Management System, U.S. Small Business Administration
- Distributed Learning System, Department of the Army, Program Executive Office Enterprise Information Systems (PEO-EIS)
- eAuthentication Service, Department of Agriculture
- Enterprise Human Resources Integration, Office of Personnel Management
- Enterprise Income Verification System, Department of Housing and Urban Development
- Enterprise Virtualization and Consolidation, Defense Contract Management Agency
- Excellence in Improved Organizational Performance in Support of NATO and Coalition Logistics Operations, Department of the Army
- Information Collection Request, Review and Approval System, Department of Health and Human Services
- IT Help Desk Consolidation, Federal Aviation Administration
- Maintenance Figure of Merit, Department of Defense
- Medical Communications for Combat Casualty Care, Department of the Army
- Shipping Assistant, United States Postal Service
- USA Services, General Services Administration
- yK1 Link Analysis, Internal Revenue Service